Have you ever noticed that when you walk into any place of worship or sacred ceremony, there is always one repeating theme? Yes, the symbols and prayers spoken may be different, but one thing is universally present – the use of smoke.
Beyond its pleasing aromatic qualities, smoke is viewed in many traditions to be a bridge between the world we can see and the one we cannot. Not surprisingly, smoke plays a crucial role in shamanism, and often serves as a healing medicine itself in native ceremonies.
The burning of sacred herbs and resins can be a very powerful tool. A way of starting anew.
Below, I’ve shared some holy smokes you can easily create and a native prayer to accompany them. We’re excited to hear how you feel once you try them!
Some examples of sacred plants and resins to use for smudging and clearing:
• White sage: use for clearing, blessing, cleansing, and healing.
• Sweetgrass: use for blessing, bringing in more creative energy, and for calling in joy.
• Myrrh: use this tree resin for enlightenment, and for clearing away the past or anything preventing you from standing in your truth.
A Native American Smoke Blessing
Oh Great Spirit, I raise smoke to the four sacred winds and the four corners, so that the blessings can reach my brothers and sisters in every corner of Great Mother Earth, while the smoke disperses all over Father Sky, lit by Mother Moon.
Let the smoke pass to each their blessing
and do away with all sorrows and unhappiness,
fill their homes with love, and the light of your wisdom.
If any be sick, cure them,
If sad, make them happy,
If they have needs, fulfill them.
Protect them from all evil. Please Father, keep them well in good health,
give them long life and wealth. Give them all your love as they love you.
They can give testimony to your power and mercy, and most important your love.
Oh Great Spirit, I love you with all my heart as I love my brothers and sisters all. I am your servant and theirs. I ask for only one thing – give me strength to keep going on doing as I do on this spirit path.
And so it is! Amen.
Recommended articles by Nick Polizzi:
- The Art of Smudging: A Shamanic Cleansing Ritual
- The Science of Ayahuasca
- Sacred Science: A Jungle Healing Technique You Can Use Anywhere
- Wired for Tribe
- 3 Wild Herbs for Lucid Dreaming
- Eye Gazing — An Exercise for Soul Vision
- 3 Ancient Medicines That Already Live In Your Home
- A Breathing Exercise to Take You Higher
- The Art of Blessing Your Food
- Can Walking Barefoot Heal Your Heart?
- 5 Signs You’re Out of Spiritual Alignment – and Ways to Rejuvenate Your Connection
About the author:
Nick Polizzi has spent his career directing and editing feature length documentaries about natural alternatives to conventional medicine. Nick’s current role as director of “The Sacred Science” stems from a calling to honor, preserve, and protect the ancient knowledge and rituals of the indigenous peoples of the world.
For more, visit www.thesacredscience.com.